Essential oils are all the rage now, and with good reason. The holistic approaches are coming back. Not everyone jumps for the medication anymore. The transition has been from popping pills to finding the right foods or natural remedies to reset the body. I gotta say, I am all for it!
Disclaimer: this is not me advocating to say no to all drugs. This is me saying, “what can we do before the drugs.” I am happy to pop an ibuprofen or cold medicine if my body is relentless. But, in an over-medicated society, I find it much easier on the body to go an all natural route whenever possible.
I have had some serious gut issues in the past, and in my experience, my medication has only gone so far. I have had to pull my own weight in my health when it comes to gut health. I have learned that when I am paying attention to what my body needs and feeding it that, I can pull myself out of a road to flare up and get back on track without the use of steroids and other medications.
I have used a variety of natural remedies to help with my gut such as homemade kombucha, eating extra beans, adding flax to my diet, and essential oils.
I will write another post later talking more specifically about these approaches, but today I want to talk about essential oils. Needless to say, these have become essential in my life and health.
I have dabbled with many different types of essential oils in the past. My cousin recently began working with Young Living Essential Oils and asked me to try her brand. I have used YL, and I knew several people who used them as well. I had some questions arise in my head:
“But what is the difference? I have some therapeutic grade oils that I have ordered off of Amazon. I know they were much cheaper (like $3 a bottle). They should be good right? “
Boy, was I wrong.
I did some research, and I discovered some impressive facts about Young Living Essential Oils:
Essential oils are plant-based
Okay, you may have already known that. However, the fact that essential oils are derived from plants gives you two paths that you can follow with anything that comes from the earth: Organic vs NonOrganic.
Young Living Essential Oils are Organic.
Understanding that essential oils are derived from plans already should rule out (at least in this holistic girl’s head) all nonorganic oils. Just say no. Cutting out the nonorganic oils really helps eliminate the brands that have harmful chemicals and pesticides that linger in their products post-harvest.
Young Living follows a rigorous quality standard:
Seed to Seal
It is really important for a company to have high standards. It is very important for a direct sales company to have high standards. It is even more important for a company whose products we apply and ingest have high standards.
YL follows a very strict code called Seed to Seal which encompasses 3 pillars of guarantee: Science, Source and Success.
YL hold extremely high standards for their farmers. They carefully vet the best farms that meet their high expectations. They do not use ‘unethical production practices’ or contain ‘synthetics, contaminants, or cheap fillers.’
YL uses cutting-edge technology to create new products and protects the quality of their oils from seed to seal.
YL has and continues to work relentlessly to uphold the highest standards and purity of their products.
‘But Holly, I like the price point of my $3 a bottle Amazon oils.’
I hear you. I felt the same way. However, after my research, I have been astounded at the high quality of YL and the low quality of the cheapo oils I used to purchase.
“Inexpensive essential oils are often synthetic, adulterated, or unethically sourced, which is why we choose partners who produce pure essential oils and ingredients ethically and legally. This practice sets a top-tier standard for sustainability.”
When I decide to use a natural and holistic approach on and in my body, I will be making sure that I don’t lose any of the benefits that a less expensive, less quality oil would give me. I want all the goodness and purity that I can get! Because of their extensive research, high standards, and pure reputation it has been so easy to choose Young Living.
Now it’s time for the fun part! Highlighting some of my absolute must-haves from YL!
Grapefruit surprised me. I popped it into my diffuser expecting an overbearing citrus scent. However, it was surprisingly mild. Potent, but not strong. I really loved the summer feel of this oil. Grapefruit has so many amazing properties.
- Natural antibacterial–use it to clean all the things sans chemicals!
- Stress relieving when added to a bath or diffuser (bright and happy feels!)
- Air freshener
- Increases blood to digestive organs and helps to detoxify
- Helps keep skin immunity strong against pollution, UV light damage, and cellulite.
- Gives fertility support
Copaiba’s scent is woodsy and surprisingly alluring. It has warming benefits that are so nice when mixed with a carrier oil. Known as the magnifier, using this oil with any oil may magnify the effects of that oil.
- Traditionally used to aid digestion
- Supports muscles after exercise or strain.
- Has warming effects, so it is excellent on muscles or in a bath after a cold day.
- Promotes overall wellness
Aromasiez is a blend of basil, marjoram, lavender, peppermint, and cypress. When diffused, it gives you an excellent spa-like atmosphere.
- Muscle support with more of a cooling effect
- Air purifier
- Improves circulation
- Relieves headaches
- Relieves swelling
Peace + Calming II
Peace + Calming II is a blend of tangerine, orange, ylang ylang, patchouli, black spruce, German chamomile, vetiver, cistus, bergamot, cassia, and davana.
This oil is so versitle and excellent to diffuse, add to a bath product, roller, candle, or wax melt.
- Creates a relaxing and calm atmosphere that helps contribute to
- relieving insomnia
- reducing anxiety
- slow racing minds
- calm tensions
- Soothing when added to a carrier oil or lotion (especially on skin irritations or a day out in the cold).
- Makes an excellent linen spray
- Sets a wonderful atmosphere for sleep
Digize is a digestive support blend. It contains tarragon, ginger, peppermint, juniper, lemongrass, anise, and patchouli. Now, I will tell you I personally don’t think it is the best smell, but man does it work wonders. This was my first experience with YL oils. About a year ago, I began to have a gut flare up. I tried several holistic remedies and one of them was using Digize in a roller with a carrier oil. Not only does using a roller extend the life of your product immensely (I am only on my second roller in a year), it makes it very easy to apply wherever your need is. I rolled Digize on my lower abdomen (and still do to this day) nightly right before bed. I was able to revert my impending flare up and have had 0 problems ever since. Now, like I said, I was doing about 3-4 things holistically to help, but I know a huge contribution was my Digize oil.
- Digize Vitality can be used as a dietary supplement in drinking water
- To help you unwind for the evening: after dinner, roll onto your wrists or abdomen
- Diffuse in your car on long rides to keep your children relaxed and calm
More than just oils…
I really think it’s awesome that the oils were not only used to direct use, but also used to create other products. Here are some of my favorites:
Thieves House Hold Cleaner
I wasn’t the biggest fan of thieves until I got this household cleaner. Yall, it is phenomenal! Thieves is a blend made of clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus radiata, and rosemary.
Thieves is one of the most popular oils. The cleaner you dilute with water so it lasts a super long time.
- Helps support immune system
- Excellent, versatile cleaning product
- Hand cleaner
- Air purifier
Cinnamint Lip Balm
I am super particular about my chapstick. Cinnamint is a blend of peppermint and cinnamon bark, and I gotta say, YL is in my top 3 favorite lip balms out there. It goes on smooth, has a great aroma, and makes your lips feel like silk!
Savvy Minerals Lip Gloss
I am not a huge gloss or color girl, but I have to say I truly enjoy YL’s Savvy Minerals Lip Gloss. I have the shade “abundance,” which gives a soft, shiny pink. The main component about this gloss is that it is made with, you guessed it, natural ingredients. It’s also made without parabens, phthalates, petrochemicals, bismuth, talc, synthetic fragrances, or synthetic colorants, so you know it is super safe for your lips.
The Bottom Line
I truly believe in Young Living Oils. Their cause, authenticity, outrageously high standards and quality are what have driven me to select their products above other essential oil companies. I encourage you to research yourself. If you decided Young Living is the right path for you, please feel free to check out my cousin Mary’s Young Living site. With her many years in nursing and healthcare coupled with her holistic approach and love of YL oils, she is more than qualified and happy to help you find what fits your needs best.
Tips + Tricks
- Vitality simply means made for dietary uses. You can safely ingest these oils (mix into your water, tea, etc) because that is what they are made for.
- Carrier oils are naturally derived from vegetarian sources and have a neutral smell (ex. vegetable or coconut oil). They aren’t volatile like essential oils, which makes them an excellent medium for dilution and application.
- Blending oils to create new oils is a must. You can create different atmospheres and hit more than one need.
- Get a diffuser. You can order one directly from YL, or you can snag one from Amazon here. I really enjoy this diffuser because it will go on intervals so your diffuser will continue working throughout the night.
- Thieves cleaner is such a good buy, because it will really last you tons of refills on your bottle.
- Definitely, invest in some rollers so you can mix your oils with a carrier oil and apply onto your body much easier. You can get some from Amazon here.
- Get glass spray bottles. These will help you when you create your own household cleaners and are less likely to pollute your oils like plastic bottles. This set from Amazon comes with two glass bottles, perfect for making your own cleaners.
- Get some sort of cheat sheet when ordering oils so you can get a variety of oils for various needs, and not just 5 oils that all do the same. Spread out the jobs! I really like this cheat sheet below.
Cheers to Young Living Essential Oils!
Let’s stay connected!