Who knew cleaning a mattress was a thing?! I always knew that FLIPPING a mattress was a thing (truthfully, not that I ever did that! I grew up with a waterbed!), but I never knew you could clean one! I did a poll on my Instagram Stories to see how many of you knew that cleaning a mattress was a thing. 94% of you voted “That’s a Thing?!”
Seriously, no judgement–I was right there with you! If you read my Ultimate Spring Cleaning Guide, you saw that cleaning the mattress was a thing to do on my bedrooms list!
So, I decided I had to write a post to share 1) why in the world it is so important to clean your mattress and 2) the most simple way that I have found to clean your mattress.
Why Should I Clean My Mattress?!
I am the person that brings her pillow anywhere she can. Anybody else with me?! If I am going out of town by plane, I will leave my pillow at home (most of the time). However, if I am driving, my pillow comes with me. I want my pillow not only for the car ride to be comfy, but also because I would always choose to sleep on my pillow verses share one with countless others. Why? Yall–even the word body soil just grosses me out! Pillows get filled up with dust mites, dead skin cells, drool, sweat, and body spoil. Changing your pillowcase weekly is important, but cleaning your pillow is just as important. The same thing goes for your mattress! Your fitted sheet and mattress cover only block out so much–your body soil and sweat eventually get through to the mattress. Cleaning your sheets and mattress will help you sleep better and stay healthier!
How to Clean Your Mattress
Here’s what you need:
- 1 box of baking soda
- essential oil of choice
- vacuum with attachment (I have a Bissel Powertark, but I linked one similar here. I really love the attachments on these vacuums!)
- 5 minutes to set up
- 1-3 hours to sit
- 5 minutes to clean up
- Strip your bed completely, and wash your sheets + mattress cover
- Vacuum your comforter to get up any loose articles or dust
- Open your box of baking soda
- Put 20 or so drops of your favorite essential oils into the box (I used a blend–grapefruit and lavender. It will make your whole room smell amazing!)
- Close the lid and shake it up well (some will probably come out as you shake, so shake it up over the stripped mattress
- Spread the baking soda all over the mattress and rub it in really good
- Let sit for 1-3 hours so the baking soda can really do its job
- Vacuum up with your attachment!
Grab yo bakin’ soda! This is one of my favorite cleaning ingredients! It’s like magic (especially when combined with vinegar! #volcano!).
These are some of the oils I had on hand that I wanted to use today! I chose the lavender (linked here) because it’s calming and the grapefruit because it’s citrus. Both of these are very fresh and delightful when blended. I used around 10 drops of each and gave the baking soda a good shake!
(If you haven’t read my post about essential oils and the truth about them, click here.)
Pour the baking soda alllll over your mattress and rub it in! (We have a sleep number bed–can you tell my husband and I have way different sleep numbers!)
Let it sit for 1-3 hours.
Vacuum that bad boy off!
Fresh mattress cover! (Make sure you wash this as you are cleaning the mattress!)
Apparently, Oaklee thinks that this is her domain. She loves a fresh and clean bed, too!
That’s it! Easy peasy! Remake your bed with the clean mattress cover and sheets.
- Flip your mattress every 6 months
- Clean your mattress (and mattress cover) every 2-4 months
- Wash your sheets every 1-2 weeks
- Clean your comforter every 4-6 months
Let’s Stay Connected!