Need a quick appetizer (or even meal replacement) that includes veggies but is still delightful? Yall gotta try out this quick and delicious fix: homemade avocado hummus. My MIL, Cheryl, started making this a couple of years ago, and my sister and I hopped on that bandwagon so fast. This recipe is simple and arguably better than any store-bought hummus. And you control the ingredients (I love this part!).
- 2 large, ripe avocados
- 2 cans of organic garbonzo beans, drained
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (more or less depending on your taste)
- *not photographed
- 1 tsp of garlic salt (to taste)
- splash of lemon juice
- swirl of olive oil (I used grapeseed oil), adding more while blending until desired consistency
- *optional: chopped cilantro
- Put all ingredients into a large container (a 7 cup pyrex is perfect)
- Blend well with an immersion blender
Serve this immediately with veggies. Some of our favories are carrots, celery, and sweet bell peppers. You can also supplement with crackers or wheat thins for a well-rounded meal replacement.
Because this is made with fresh avocado, it does not last well if kept overight. If feeding just one person cut the recipe in half!
This is a super simple and fast appetizer to throw together (and sometimes we even just eat it for lunch or dinner with a pile of veggies)! Let me know if you try it or another variation in the comments below!