Is there a recipe your mom made when you were growing up that is just nostalgic for you? That’s this squash casserole for me! My mama made this super easy dish to help us be able to enjoy the taste of squash that none of us had much of a liking for. Now, I love squash, but I still enjoy making this recipe when we have a holiday or a big party!
I also made this dish with zucchini that I had on hand the other night, and boy was it good! I almost think it was even better! So keep in mind that you can do this recipe with squash, zucchini, or even both! It just depends on what you prefer + what you have on hand.
Mama’s Squash Casserole
Serves: 6-8 people
Total Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 5-6 medium squash (or zucchini)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 egg
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 cup (or so) of sharp cheese, shredded
- 6-8 slices of butter
- In a 2 quart pot, boil squash and onion until tender (about 20 or so minutes)
- Drain water and return pan to stove (turn off stove, and any excess water will evaporate)
- Add salt, pepper, egg, and cheese and mix well
- Dump into a casserole dish (I always bake mine in this Corningware dish, and I love it!)
- Top with Ritz Crackers + butter
- Bake on 350 for 30 minutes
That’s it y’all! I know you + any guests you have will love this super simple recipe!
Snag some if my favorite kitchen tools that I used to make this recipe!